School Council By-Laws
Section I – Committees
- Committees are responsible to the Council and their terms of reference are defined by the Council.
- Committees must have a Council representative and preferably be chaired by a Council member.
- Members may be appointed annually to committees by the Council.
Section II – Election Procedures
- The Principal, in conjunction with the current School Council, will inform parents, teachers and students about the School Council Elections through written materials and information session(s) at least 14 days prior to the election(s).
- Election of parent representatives will take place by ballot, before the end of September of the new school year, at a polling station located at the school. Parents/guardians of students attending the school are eligible to vote.
- Teacher representatives will be elected by ballot during a staff meeting before the end of September of the new school year.
- Student representatives will be elected by ballot during polls for the Student Council Election. A separate ballot will be used for election of School Council student representatives. Students attending the School are eligible to vote.
- Council will receive suggestions for community representatives at an open meeting of Council. Council will establish the order of priority and designate Council members to approach those suggested.
- The School Council will inform its community of the names of all of the members of the Council as soon as the appointments are finalized.
- The School Council will elect a Chair, Vice-Chair, Secretary and Treasurer from among its members.
Section III – Nominations
A “Nominations Committee”, chaired by the Principal, will be formed at a General Meeting, or as required by the Council.
Section IV – Quorum
A quorum shall consist of 50% plus one, of the Council members.
Section V – Motions
50% plus one of all Council members must vote in favour of a motion in order to pass the motion.
Section VI – Meetings
- “Robert’s Rules of Order” will be used to conduct the meetings, unless they are in conflict with the guidelines in these By-laws.
- Discussion at all regular meetings of School Council will be limited to members of Council except
- where stakeholders have previously requested, in writing, standing to speak on an issue
- where individuals or groups have been asked to make presentations to School Council.
Section VII – Finances
- A budget and tentative plan of expenditures from local generation of funds will be drawn up by the Council prior to the end of November of each year.
- The Council shall name three signing officers, for banking and legal documents. Two signatures will be required for these documents.
- All money spent above and beyond a pre-determined petty cash amount will be presented to and voted on by the Council.
- A Treasurer’s Report must be published in the school newsletter prior to the end of each school year.
- An independent Accountant’s Review of the School Council’s financial activities will be conducted each year.
Section VIII – Complaint Resolution
- Individuals or groups who wish to table a complaint shall do so in writing to the Chair of the School Council and the Principal.
- The complaint will be discussed at the next regularly scheduled meeting of the Council.
- At this time the complaint will be dealt with or referred to an appropriate committee and/or the Principal for recommended action.
- The committee and\or Principal will report to the Council within an agreed period of time, as to the action recommended.
- If the complaint is not dealt with to the satisfaction of the individual or group concerned, the complaint should be taken to the School Council liaison person at the School Board.
Section IX – Code of Conduct
- The School Council of Holy Heart of Mary High School is not a forum for the discussion of individual school personnel, students, parents, or other individual members of the school community.
- Concerns related to individual students and school staff do not fall within the mandate of the School Council and should be dealt with using the procedures already in place in schools and districts.
- A Council member who is approached with a concern relating to an individual is in a privileged position and must treat such discussion with discretion, protecting the confidentiality of the people involved.
- Council members are expected to make every effort to attend all meetings.
Section X – Amendments to By-Laws
Amendments to the By-Laws of the School Council may be made at any regular meeting at which business is conducted, provided:
- Written notice of the meeting has been given to all members (1 month minimum)
- The notice of the meeting included notice of the specific amendments proposed
- 50% plus one of all Council members must vote in favour of an amendment in order to amend the By-Law.
- Eastern School District
- IB @ Holy Heart
- Daily Schedule 2012-13
- Feature Film - Unwanted
- Heart and Soul - 50 Years of Excellence
- Founders Award 2011
- Twitter and Facebook at Heart
- Level 1 Course Selection Sheet
- Level 2 and 3 Course Selection Sheet
- June 2013 Final Exam Schedule
- Bussing Schedule for June Exams