Section I – Name
The name of the organization shall be the School Council of Holy Heart of Mary High School
Section II – Mission Statement
The Holy Heart of Mary School Council is committed to fostering an excellent learning and teaching environment that continuously involves students, parents, teachers and the community at large.
The Mission of the School Council of Holy Heart of Mary High School is to collaborate with students, parents, teachers and the community at large to foster a first class learning and teaching environment, promote the pursuit of excellence and nurture a philosophy of care and support for each other.
Section III – Functions
The functions of the School Council of Holy Heart of Mary High School (the School) are to:
- Develop, approve and maintain a School Plan which includes strategies for:
- improving teaching and learning
- implementing the plan
- monitoring the plan
- Receive and review information regarding the progress and standards of the School and assist in the monitoring and evaluating of standards in the School.
- Prepare, approve and present an Annual School Council Report.
- Conduct meetings with stakeholders to discuss the annual school report and other matters of concern regarding the School.
- Advise the Avalon East School Board (the Board) on matters of concern to the School.
- Communicate to the Board concerns regarding Board policies and practices.
- Approve and monitor local generation of funds at the School level.
- Facilitate parent and community involvement in the School activities.
Section IV – Membership
- The School Council of Holy Heart of Mary High School will consist of:
- The Principal of the school, by virtue of his/her position
- 3 Teachers elected by teachers from among teachers of the School
- 4 Parents elected by parents from among parents of students in the School
- 2 students elected by students from among students in the School
- 3 representatives of the community appointed by the elected council members. Appointments will be approved prior to the end of September immediately following the annual Council Election.
- The members of the School Council will elect a chair, from among the members, at the first meeting of Council following the annual Council Election. A chair for the Council will be elected each year.
- A member of the School Council elected or appointed will hold office for a period of not more than 3 years and may be elected or appointed to the School Council for one further term of 3 years. A member of the School Council will continue to serve until replaced.
- Members of the School Council will be elected and appointed in a manner consistent with the representation of members under paragraph 1.
- A vacancy on the School Council will be filled following the same process which selected the member being replaced. The replacement member will serve the remainder of the term of the vacating member.
- Individuals will not serve as members of the School Council if they are determined to be in a position of conflict of interest.
Section V – Roles and Responsibilities
- Chairs Council meetings
- Establishes Council meeting dates and times as approved by Council
- Develops agenda for meetings in consultation with School Council, Principal and committees Facilitates discussion and collaborative decision making
- Calls special meetings of Council to deal with extraordinary issues – on the request of three Council members Works with the Principal in communicating with the School, community and Board Issues and receives correspondence, in collaboration with the Secretary
- Acts as Spokesperson for the School Council Serves as signing officer of the executive Ensures that the Principal’s Annual Report is circulated to the School Council, the School, the community and the Board Prepares the Annual Report of the School Council and ensures it is circulated to the School Council, the School, the community and the Board
- Serves as Chair in the absence of the School Council Chair
- Serves on various sub-committees as required Serves as signing officer of the executive
- Prepares, maintains and updates the School Council Policies and Procedures manual, including the Constitution and By-laws, and, the School Protocol Agreement
- Records minutes of all School Council meetings
- Ensures that Council minutes are maintained, circulated, publicized and copied to the school council liaison person, or Zone representative, of the Board Keeps list of members
- Responsible for maintenance of financial accounts
- Prepares annual budget and tentative plan of expenditure, with input from the executive Prepares and presents an Annual Financial Report
- Sits on Finance sub-committee Receives submissions on local generation of funds at the School level
- Ensures the establishment and continuous operation of a School Council
- Chairs the initial meeting of the School Council, or at the request of those present, a second meeting within a reasonably short time frame, until the election of a chair for the Council
- Assumes the role of executive secretary to the Council,noting that a principal’s special responsibilities to the School Council do not in any way detract from his/her rights and privileges as a member of the School Council
- Provides School Council with access to School information, policies and practices relevant to the functioning of the Council (with due regard for confidentiality)
- Creates a positive climate within the School, and the larger community, to support the activities and decisions of of the School Council
- Chairs the nominations committee
- Facilitates smooth transition between Council Chairs
- Council Members
- Express the viewpoint of the parents, teachers, students or community whom they represent
- Communicate the activities of the Council to their stakeholders
Section VI – Meetings
- A minimum of ten monthly meetings of the School Council will be held yearly.
- The first meeting of the School Council must be held before the end of September of the new school year.
- Emergency meetings of the School Council may be called on three days notice by any three members in consultation with the Chair.
- Any decision at the discretion of the Chair must be tabled at the next regularly scheduled School Council meeting.
- All regular meetings of the School Council shall be considered open, public meetings.
Section VII – Constitutional Amendments
Amendments to the Constitution of the School Council may be made at any regular meeting at which business is conducted provided:
- Written notice of the meeting has been given to all members (1 month minimum).
- The notice of the meeting included notice of the specific amendments proposed.
- A two-thirds (2/3) majority of the Council as a whole must vote in favour of an amendment in order to amend the Constitution.
Section VIII – Dissolution
- In the event of dissolution and following payment of all outstanding debts, disbursement of remaining funds will be decided upon by the membership at the final meeting.
- All records of the organization shall be placed under the jurisdiction of the Avalon East School Board, St. John’s, Newfoundland, Canada.
- NL English School District
- IB @ Holy Heart
- Daily Schedule 2013-14
- Feature Film - Unwanted
- Heart and Soul - 50 Years of Excellence
- Twitter and Facebook at Heart
- Powerschool Login
- Community Agencies For Youth
- January 2014 Exam Schedule